Saturday 5 January 2013

'McCullin'

Considering the sensitivity of the subject it covers I didn't really want to just cover my thoughts on this lightly as it did really intrigue myself. 'McCullin' is a documentary film covering the poignant life of Don McCullin, whom is a British photojournalist whom is mainly known for his war photography.

The documentary covers a general overview of his career, if you want to know an insight into what that is almost everything is covered on his Wikipedia page (oh internet you are helpful), but it talks through what his life was like 'behind the camera' and how it has effected his life. A quote I liked included was McCullin being asked 'Why don't you just take pictures for page 3 and earn £500 a day', with his response being he wanted people to know the truth about the cruel thing he hated- humanity.

His work is truly remarkable, and although I do love films I do love documentaries because what more could you want than the things that are/were actually happening in the world we live in.

I won't show too much of his work, as I do think you should watch the Documentary/Film (Currently showing at the Cornerhouse till the 10th January 2013) but below is one of my favourite photos of his work, which was featured in his film.

 As with alot of photography and art based subjects, you either have it or you don't. I think the best photo's are taken without planning but like they were fully planned which McCullin is awe admirable for.

I'd definitely go and watch it, or even so find out about his work.

-G

No comments:

Post a Comment