Wednesday 2 January 2013

Review: Sleeping Beauty

Still cannot believe I haven't given some sort of concluded opinion towards this film yet, as I did first watch it well.. last year *cue Happy New Year speech..*. I guess I never really thought an concise opinion to it due to not finding it to be well publicized in the UK? Nevertheless I was reminded of it the other day after seeing a copious amount of tweets concluding it being the 'Weirdest film ever, but very good' to 'boring'- and decided this was a calling for me to share my thoughts on it.

Sleeping Beauty, not to be mistaken with the classic child story but racily 'adult-ifies' it, is an Australian drama film is the debut as a director; Julia Leigh. Focuses on the tale of a young (played by Emily Browning), beautiful University student who begins erotic freelance work where she is required to sleep in bed alongside paying 'customers'. It was featured in the 2011 Cannes film festival. 

I personally liked it, in a weird way I did like it. Not due to the explicit scenes or anything like that, but due to just the beauty of the film which I cannot compare to any other film I have seen before. I love the pretentiousness but also lack of speaking it did involve I felt was good.

Do note, I wouldn't suggest watching it on your laptop on a busy train..........haha

But it definitely is worth a watch if you have more of a varied view towards the 'art' of a film.


-G

No comments:

Post a Comment